Call for Entries
Hudson Valley Wine & Spirits Competition
Under the auspices of The Hudson Valley Wine & Grape Association
Deadline: Wednesday, August 21, 2013
DearHudsonValleyWinemaker & Distiller,
We are proud to announce the Eighth Hudson Valley Wine & Spirits Competition. We continue to improve on our past years’ of success with articles in the New York Times, the Times Herald Record, The Hudson Valley Table, Hudson Valley Wine Magazine, and numerous other regional media and blogs. The wineries that have entered in the past received great reviews and far-reaching publicity, as well as placement in restaurants such as Peter Kelly’s X20.
I have heard it from more than one judge that the quality of the wines entered has improved with each succeeding year, and I would say along with it the reputation of our wine region. This year’s competition should be more exciting than ever. More judges have been added and from a wider range of the wine industry, including sommeliers, wine writers, critics, educators and retailers.
We are staging this event to highlight the quality of our region’s wines and spirits and the public’s increasing interest in them. The wines and spirits will be judged by a panel of distinguished wine experts on Saturday September 7, 2013 at the Hudson Valley Wine Festival, Dutchess County Fairgrounds, Rhinebeck NY. In addition, all wineries that enter the competition will be listed, linked and Facebooked on the Hudson Valley Wine Fest site. I will also be doing two presentations (one on Saturday, one on Sunday) about the wine region, wineries and winning wines. Last year after my presentation on Sunday, many people went directly to the winery table to purchase after tasting the wines of the seminar.
- Awards will be announced after the competition at the Hudson Valley Wine Festival.
- As winning wines are announced if winery is present at wine festival, a tent card will be placed at their booth announcing their medal and winning wine.
- The highest scoring wine in each major category (White, Red, Fruit, Dessert, Sparkling, and Rosé) as well as the Spirits will be honored at yet to be determined event.
- A Winery of the Year will be awarded to the winery with the highest average scores.
- Winery must enter at least 4 wines to be eligible
- All winners will be posted at http://www.HVWGA.com.
- A press release with the complete list of awards will be sent to local media and the wine press following the competition.
The Judging Process
- The judging is structured as a blind tasting
- Each entry receives a unique number which follows the wine through the judging
- We use the American Wine Society 20 point scale
- Each panel evaluates the wine by class on an individual basis. We don’t judge by price categories. Judges confer to decide all awards; a consensus of panel members determines all medals. Each panel makes the final decision for its wines; results are never altered after the judges make their final decision.
- Judges award all medals through a process of deliberation, discussion, and voting. Agreement is reached through discussion.
- All judges evaluate wines deemed worthy of judging for sweepstakes awards.
- Our goal is not to award an unending string of medals, which could make the results of the competition suspect. We offer the expertise of qualified judges in a controlled setting that benefits the Hudson Valley wine industry.
Awards to be Presented:
- Winery of the Year – this award is giving to the winery with the highest average score. Winery must enter 4 or more wines to be considered for this award
- Best in Show – Highest ranking wines get judged by all judges and voted on. The wine with the most votes wins
- Best overall Hudson Valley Wine – The best wine made with 100% Hudson Valley fruit.
- Best Sparkling Wine – The best sparkling wine
- Best White Wine – The best white wine
- Best Red Wine – The best red wine
- Best Spirit – The best spirit
- Double Gold Medal – Awarded to a wine that has won a Gold medal with unanimous vote by the entire panel.
- Gold Medal – Awarded to a wine exhibiting perfect varietal character, balance, and structure, and containing exceptional qualities.
- Silver Medal – Awarded to a wine showing beautiful balance and excellence; a wine extremely well made.
- Bronze Medal – Awarded to a wine that has character and achieves significantly more than an average wine; a tribute to wine making skill.
Please note that the deadline for entry forms and fees is Wednesday, August 21.
We are proud to continue what we hope to be a magnificent perennial event forHudsonValleywineries and distilleries and look forward to seeing you and your wines and spirits there.
Competition Committee Chair
Debbie Gioquindo, CSW, WLS
How to Enter
The competition is open to any wine or spirits produced & bottled in the Hudson Valley AVA made from 100% New York State fruit OR wine made anywhere from 100% Hudson Valley fruit.
All wines and spirits entered must be commercially available in New York State at the time of the competition.
To compete in the category of Hudson Valley AVA Wine, the wine must have been made from at least 75%HudsonValleyproduce.
An entry consists of three (3) 750ml or 375 ml bottles. Entry fee is $30 per entry.
No exceptions will be made.
We reserve the right to eliminate entries and retract awards given if these rules have not been followed.
The entry forms are listed below. Click the link to download them. You are welcome to make additional copies of the entry form. Please fill out the form thoroughly for each wine (we are not responsible for wines entered in an incorrect class).
$30 per wine or spirit. Make checks payable to: Hudson Valley Wine & Grape Association.
Deadline for Forms and Fees: August 21, 2013.
All entry forms, wine and checks payable to the Hudson Valley Wine & Grape Association must be submitted and received by August 21, 2013
Please mail forms and check to:
Hudson Valley Wine Competition
c/o Debbie Gioquindo
65 Rombout Road
Poughkeepsie NY 12603
Do not enclose forms and checks inside wine cases!
Deadline for Delivery/Shipment of Bottles: Wednesday August 21, 2013.
- Three (3) 750ml or 375ml bottles per wine entered
The earlier it is delivered, the better shape it will be in for judging. It is the winery’s responsibility to see to the delivery of its samples to the following address or arrange for pick-up:
c/o Debbie Gioquindo
65 Rombout Rd
Poughkeespie NY 12603
Telephone: (914) 474-7780